Saturday 19 May 2012

Button Holes and Buttons

I have already done machine button hole on my trousers, which I am really happy with, due to their even spacing, length and straightness. As a group we are not going to have time to do button holes on the jacket, I could do this independently, having done button holes before, though I want to learn the tailors way so will leave them until after hand in. I have done some research however into hand button hole like they would have used in Victorian times by hand shown below:
I have however sewn on my buttons on my trousers, cuffs, pockets and shoulder strap. For my cuffs and pockets I started by sewing down my braid. 




To start with I was unsure about the stag horn buttons, I thought a plainer navy blue button would look better. But as they are historically correct for the style of suit, and because of the McKenzie link, I went a head and added them all the same. I am now glad I did as I think they add to the over look and give it more of a historical Scottish feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment