Friday 11 May 2012

Waistband of Trousers

Before doing the waistband I sewed  the backs of the trousers to the front along the side seam, matching up the checks and finishing the edge of the pocket.This went a lot better than my sample, as I sewed  close to the pocket, creating a really clean finish with the matching lines running around the trouser. I did have some problems with matching up the checks as when I went to sew on the machine the cloth would move and would no longer match. I found that in if I pined on every check line vertically and horizontally the checked matched and the fabric didn't move. Sewing up successfully. 
I did this for both legs I pressed the seams to the back on the pocket and pressed them open after that.
Once this was done I moved onto the waistband. I started by cutting out the canvas, leaving the seams, on the dart in made a tuck. This was then based down. The top of the trouser was then folded down and cross stitched down. I then cut the lining in two strips, creating the same tucks in the lining. This was then slip stitched down leaving the both end open front and back on both pieces. I then attached the trouser hook and bar. Threading a piece of cotton tape through the bottom hole, knotting and twist, which was then sewn to the canvas. I then 'put the hooks to bed' folding the lining on top of the hook and sew down. As shown bellow on photos.


I then slip stitched down the whole waistband as shown below.

  
After this I sewed the legs together matching the checks and the sewed up the back, place one leg the right side up in the a leg the wrong way. I sewed the back line twist for extra strength.


I am very happy with my trousers as all the checks match and are symmetrical, if I was to improve this I would try to make the inside of the trouser more clean and tidy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment