Wednesday 21 March 2012

Chosen Garments



I going to make a Tweed Kilt Jacket and trousers!

I will use the basic block provide by Graham as a starting point, and then alter or develop.

I am going to try and make the garments as historically accurate as possible, but I will still use modern construction techniques. From researching into the Tweed Kilt Jacket, I have found that normally a hunting tartan is used. I will use this for the trousers and then match a colour in the tartan for the jacket, which is what was done historically. I plan to use a 100% wool at around 14 ounce as this will be the easiest and the best to work with. Historically a homespun cloth would have been use generally a Harris Tweed or Shetland Cloth. I will research into these, though the choice will depend on my budget, if the fabrics are too expensive I will find the best next thing. Historically stag horn button were used or leather, I will also try to source these over the Easter break as well as the fabric.

Over the next few days I plan to finish all my pattern drafting and be starting to source my fabric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment