Monday 26 March 2012

Fabric Sourcing

Speaking to my model, I found out that his father 'Kenneth' is part of the 'Mackenzie' clan. After this conversation I thought it would be interesting to  find a woollen Hunting Tartan from this clan.

I have done some research and this is what I found out about the clan:


‘The Mackenzie clan possessed Kintail in the 14th century and take their name from a chief named Kenneth who lived in the 13th century. They were a strong and powerful clan and feuded with their neighbours. They fought against the MacDonalds at the Battle of Blair-na-park in 1491. About 1607 they acquired lands of Lochcarron and Lochalsh. In 1609 Kenneth MacKenzie was created Lord MacKenzie, and the 2nd Lord was Earl of Seaforth in 1623. They fought in the 1715 Rising and at the Battle of Glenshiel in 1719. They were a numerous clan and in the 18th century could muster 2,500 fighting men.’ 

The Mackenzie clan motto is' I shine, not burn' and there clan badge consists of a stags head. So I think its real important that I choose stag horn buttons over leather. 

Below is a romanticized Victorian ear illustration of a Clan Mackenzie clansmen by R. R. Mclan from The Clans of the Scottish Highlands published in 1845, he wears the ancient tartan:
 This is the Mackenzie hunting tartan:
I will order a sample of this fabric and try to match the colour of a wool of the jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment