Thursday 22 March 2012

Pattern Drafting and Alterations

I have drafted the basic block for the jacket, trouser, waistcoat and sleeve. Having chosen the Tweed Kilt Jacket I had planned to alter the basic block as not too much was different. Though over viewing the pattern again I noticed quite a few differences:

There is no second dart of the front of the jacket,
The CF line is cut away more, creating a fully look,
The shoulder shape is more curved achieving a better shape,
The side seamed are shaped more to the male figure giving a closer fit,
The pocket is at a different angle for easy access,
There is a side slit for more movement,
The lapel is different, due it style,
The armhole shape is angled and shaped differently,
and finally there is a shoulder strap.

Although most of these alterations would be easy enough and wouldn't be hard to do, I decided to draft the block from 'The Modern Tailor Outfitter and Clothier' for the Tweed kilt Jacket. By drafting this pattern I hope to achieve a more historical jacket, achieve the right shape and more accurate block for the style of the jacket. I also believe I will learn more researching into the pattern and learning to use patterns from books, developing my practices professionally and independently. 





No comments:

Post a Comment