Friday 23 March 2012

Weaves and Wools


I decided to do some research before buying my fabric to make sure I got the best type of fabric historically and the easiest to work with. I also wanted to expand my knowledge of wools from Defining Practice, to get a better understanding of the structure, stretch, threads and weaves. I first looked in the 'The Modern Outfitter and Clothier' though as I started to read, I got so confused with the scientific 'talk' I felt I needed to learn some science before being able to understand what was ment. 

So I left this research to one side and continued looking for other sources. When I can across these pages in 'The Victorian Tailor', it was much easier to understand and has allowed me to achieve what I wanted to know. I will use this information and knowledge that I have now gained and transfer them in to practice when sourcing fabric. 

The information on tweed and homespun fabric is particularly useful, as I now know that I am looking for a one or two coloured fabric, with a soft surface, with an open and flexible weave. 
I also found this page:  

Which is particularly useful for wool purchases in period garments as well as the thickness historically.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment