Wednesday 18 April 2012

Jacket Pockets

I've made a pocket sample before doing the pockets on my jacket, I altered different parts of the pocket as stated in the pocket sample post. These developments worked successfully and there is no gap in the side of the jacket showing the jets. 

I am however concerned that the flaps are to small, though the longest parts measures 5cm. If I was to make this again in the future I would make the flaps longer as it looks quite odd for the design. Though I can not find any historical photo or other types of image to back this up, only on lounge jackets where the flap would have been 4-5cm, the pattern blocks are not to dissimilar.

I did have some issues with the bulkiness of the flap, braid and jet SA when tacking over to create the shape of the jet. I tried cutting the different layers at different length to create a graduate decrease in seam, hopefully making is easier and smoother when turning through. This worked perfectly on one side, creating a smooth jet at 0.75cm, though did work so well on the other where you can still feel the braid through the SA as it is so bulky. 

Other than these points the overall look of the pockets has worked well, they both are the same size, proportion, shape and site in the same place symmetrically.   

I was going to add a breast pocket into the jacket, though doing research and looking at photos and artwork of the style of jacket, as well as reading the pattern block instructions and information, there is no breast pocket on this style of jacket. So to keep jacket historically correct I have decided not to add the breast pocket. The welt pocket is not a new process for me as I have made these before in Defining Practice, the only difference is that it would be smaller in length (historically around 9cm).   


No comments:

Post a Comment