Friday 13 April 2012

New Chosen Fabric

I have had a really successful day! 

I managed to find a 'Brown Scottish Hunting Tartan' They did not  know to what clan it belonged to, though they expect that it is a general Scottish tartan that anyone can wear (This was told to me by the shop assistant who happened to be Scottish!). Unfortunately it does not feel like a 14oz wool, it is thinner, though it still has a strong weave and is thick enough historically not be mistaken for the modern suiting wool. (From researching I found that the weight of wool historically depends on season, though they still wouldn't be as thin as modern suiting wool.)

I then managed to match the navy blue in the tartan to a plain navy blue wool in the second shop, which will blend nicely with the navy blue in the tartan. This is thicker and feel more around the 14oz. Both fabrics are 100% wool and Scottish! It would have been better to have the same ounce of wool for both, though the match is more important. 

I am very happy with my brought fabric, historically a navy blue was used for the 'Tweed kilt Jacket' and the tartan, although not the Mackenzie looks similar and is brown like most of the Scottish hunting tartans. I would have been good to have purchased a Mackenzie tartan and would be more historically correct but I think that this is the next best option.

While I was in the shop I also managed to buy a brown lining, thread and braid, and was also able to go to the Haberdashery at university to purchase hair canvas, shoulder canvas, breast felt and stay-flex. All in all the day has been very productive and allows me to start making my costume!

I have started to source buttons, historically I want stag horn or leather. 

Here are photos of my chosen fabrics, braid and buttons:

 This is my navy blue fabric, this photo shows darker than it really is:

This is the hunting tartan, I did find a green to match the green in the tartan, though it was just to bright historically to be right.
This is the brown lining for both the trouser and jacket, its thick so your hand can not tbe seen underneath or through it. Although the jacket is navy blue I chosen the brown to blend the brown more into the costume:
This is the braid I also brought this in brown to blend the brown of the tartan into the jacket:
Below is a combination of all the fabrics:
Here is a photo of some stag horn buttons, they all vary because of their natural substance:



No comments:

Post a Comment