Saturday 28 April 2012

Midway Evalution

So far I am really enjoying the tailoring processes. I have already learned a great deal of new technical skill which have help to further my knowledge and skills within tailoring and construction of costumes for the future. I feel that I have already developed from Defining Practice, through knowledge of historical tailors patterns and how they have developed over time, the period cut of garment, my own accuracy in constructing parts like the pockets and specific tailoring skills like the pad stitching on the lapel and canvasing. I am looking forward to learning new skills to advance my knowledge and technique through next half of the project. 

I feel that the pocket didn't go as well as i would have liked mainly due to the bulkiness of the flap though I hope this can be improved in the future through practice, like most skill based techniques. I have enjoyed the pad stitching of the lapel, due to its cleverness and manipulation of the fabric to achieve the desired shaping of the lapel.

Through my current progress, I think my garment is historically accurate through cut and design as well as construction. I have made sure that I keep looking back at my chosen image to make sure the design lines are the same as well as the cut. I have used historical measurements for parts like the jets and lapel. I am however disappointed that my Mackenzie weathered tartan wouldn't have come in time, as I would have made my garment truly historically accurate. Though I have made the best of this choosing a heavier fabric as well as Scottish fabrics in colours that they would have used. I will continue to try and make the garment as historically accurate as I can, through the help and guidance of my tutor and research.  

I think my work is going well in time schedule to the amount of time left , being about half way through the project,  I am about half through construction. I have kept up with my work keeping to my weekly schedule making sure I'm ready for the next steps and not falling behind. My work has been organized to plan and so far accurate to the tailoring techniques and finished article. I will continue to schedule for the weeks ahead and keep to my independent time frames, to work more independently in the future, which I am looking forward to. I feel that I have already developed skills in this area and through the coming weeks of the project will be ready for more independent work next year. 


Overall I think tailoring is going really well I have enjoyed the experiences so far and have learned a vast amount. I am looking forward to the coming weeks and finished 2 piece suit. I will continue to blog my progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment